Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Beetroot Fry

Beetroot Fry

This is one of my favortites. I like beets. Tho maybe I don't like eating them raw, but I like eating it pickeled or in a fry or pulusu(sweet-sour tangy tamarind gravy). Making beetroot fry like this is more common in my house. No one will have another say in it!!...
On top of it, beets are good for you. They have lot of red pigment called betanin, which protects against oxidative stress, so the wiki says...Its also an rich in anti-oxidants just like the good for you fruits like strawberries, blueberries etc.,.
The leaves of beets are also eaten, they have a nice big red vein like chard and spinach beet.
The red pigment in beet is also harvested to use in other foods to intensify the color. And also don't get scared when you start seeing everything pink a day or two later, if you understand what I mean!!! :)
This fry has dried coconut in it, which makes it tastes even better. You can use fresh shredded coconut too, but I didn't have that at home :)


Ingredients:

6 Medium size Beetroots (washed and peeled)
3-4 tbsp dried coconut powder
1 onion, chopped
3-4 green chillies, chopped

For Tempering:

1 tsp urad daal
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp jeera
2 dried red chillies
6-7 curry leaves
2 tbsp oil

garnish with chopped coriander leaves



Method:

After washing and peeling the beets. Grate them or shred them. I used the food processor to that job for me. It just does it faster than me grating them on the small grater :).
In a pan, heat oil and add the urad daal. When they start browning, add the mustard seeds and jeera. When they splutter, add the red chillies and curry leaves. Now add the chopped onion and green chillies.
When thr onion starts to brown or turns translucent, add the shredded beet and saute it. Fry it until its cooked. You can fry it even more to get texture and look you like. Now add the coconut powder and mix it even more until everything is well mixed. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with hot rice or roti. Enjoy!!!


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...