Monday, February 15, 2010

Simple Vegetarian Baked Ziti (or should I call it Baked Penne)


Simple Vegetarian Baked Ziti (or should I call it Baked Penne)

So I was going to make baked ziti with lots of veggies and all...but it ended up like this. First of all I didnot have any ziti in my pantry. Second of all I didn't have any broccoli or spinach or zucchini which I had intended to put in together with the ziti as veggies...hmmm and third of all it was snowing and I had a cake to take care of and no time to go grocery shopping. What happens to all the stuff when you need them and why don't I remember to get them when I do go grocery shopping!! hmph.....

Anyways I had enough Ragu sauce (chunky, tomato-onion and garlic one, vegetarian) and whole grain penne (I think 1 pound box, I should remember to check). So I decided, no veggies, thats Ok, whole grain pasta is good and healthy with veggie Ragu...and some sour cream and the cheeses (this too I had only 2 kinds to put in it and 1 kind to put on top blahh...) I had to settle with this...

With or with out veggies, I was sure the cheese will make it enough yummy...:) and everyone might like it :|  hopefully...

Ingredients:

1 box of whole grain penne pasta (boiled to al-dente with salt)
1 small bottle of the Ragu sauce (chunky, tomato-onion and garlic) (about 20-26 oz, as required)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Provolone cheese, shredded
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
1-2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (use as required)
more Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top

Method:

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Drain the pasta and mix it together with more than half of the Ragu sauce, sour cream, red pepper flakes, italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, Mozzarella and Provolone cheeses. Put it in a oven proof baking dish. Pour the rest of the Ragu sauce on the top and sprinkle the 1/2 cup parmesan cheese on the top. Bake at 350 for about 30 min to 40 min. Serve hot with some sprinkled parmesan cheese. Serve hot. Enjoy!!!



Well in the end it did come out good and tasted good too. Everyone enjoyed it :)!!

This dish is going to Jyothi from Panch Pakwan's 'Pasta Party'
Posted by Picasa

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...