Monday, March 15, 2010

Coriander - Mint Chutney / Dhaniya - Pudina Chutney / Kotmir - Pudina Pachadi


Coriander - Mint Chutney / Dhaniya - Pudina Chutney / Kotmir - Pudina Pachadi

Its almost officially spring here. Spring comes around on the 21st of March according to the calender. Tho weather wise I cannot say that. It has been raining for the past 3 days non-stop. Maybe that is a sign of spring taking over. We are expecting better weather over the next half of the week, maybe that is a sign of spring. Oh well, just let the weather get better.
Spring means fresh grass, new leaves, new flowers, time to set up my garden, new plants, I can't wait...
I made Dhaniya - Pudina chutney, as I love the smell of pudina and I sometimes crave to eat this chutney, tho I haven't made this in a while.
When you make either only coriander chutney or only mint chutney, I feel there is something missing. Thos they taste equally good, I like mixing them together. Sometimes when I want to make coriander chutney, I add little bit to mint and when only mint chutney, little bit of coriander. This is just for the smell I think!!.. This time I made using both coriander and mint in equal amounts. I made is enough spicy for me. Adjust the spiciness to your liking. I made thick chutney, you can also make it little thinner by adding water.

Ingredients:

A big bunch of mint leaves, washed properly
equal amont of coriander leaves, Washed properly

6 pods of garlic, peeled and halved
6-7 green chillies
1 small lime sized ball of tamarind without seeds
some water

2 tbsp oil and few drops
1 tbsp channa daal
1/2 tbsp urad daal
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp jeera
5-6 dry red chillies
5-6 curry leaves

Method:

In a pot, add a few drops of oil. When hot, add the garlic and brown it. Next add the channa daal and urad daal and brown it too. Add the mustard seeds, jeera and let it splutter. Now add the red chillies and curry leaves. Add also the washed coriander leaves and mint leaves with the green chillies. Let it cook down. Keep checking so that it doesn't burn. Add the tamarind too and tiny bit of water.
When it cools, grind it into a smooth paste or a crunchy paste :). Serve with hot rice, idli, vada, dosa, or bhajjilu. Enjoy!!!


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. This chutney looks delicious and yummy .Just need some hot pakoras with it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)..surely will serve u some!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made green chutney yesterday, now going to prepare date-Imli chutney today and then can enjoy the chat... yeyyy hehehe :)

    Yours looks nice, i can have it with almost anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds very tempting Lopa...
    Yeah I eat this chutney even on plain bread!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...