Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pappu Kattu / Tempered Liquidy Lemony Daal


Pappu Kattu / Tempered Liquidy Lemony Daal

This is one of the easiest daal to make and its more easy when you have some leftover plain daal. Just put everything together and let it come to a boil and add lemon. How much easier can it get?
It make for a good side dish when the main dish is something spicy like chicken curry or fish fry or even some masala veggie curry or fry.
I tho like to eat it plain with white rice. It tastes yummy that way too... I remember when I was in college and was living with my grandmother for sometime, this was the only thing I would ask her to make everyday. That's how much I like it :)
At home, I make only enough for one meal, either night or day. It tastes good when made fresh (it still tastes good later on too but still....). I add few drops of lemon juice into my rice, but you can add it directly to the daal too.

Ingredients:

1 cup cooked daal
enough water to suit your consistency (I used double and half of how much daal I used)
1 small onion, chopped
4 green chillies, slit or cut lengthwise
enough juice to make it lemony (to suit your taste)
Chopped coriander leaves for garnish

For tempering:

4-5 garlic pods, crushed
1/4 tsp urad daal
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp jeera
2 dry red chillies, broken
5-6 curry leaves
1-2 tbsp oil

Method:

In a pot, heat oil, add garlic and let it brown. Then add the urad daal, let it brown. Add the mustard seeds and jeera, let them splutter. Add the red chillies and curry leaves. Then add the chopped onion and green chillies. When they turn translucent, add the daal and mix everything with water. Let it come to a boil and then turn off the heat. Garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with rice. You can add the lemon directly into the daal after boiling or add few drops to the rice when mixing. Enjoy!!!



This is going to Suma Gandlur from Veggie Platter's 'Delicious Dals' Event.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Thats an easy one...a perfect comfort food":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice variation. Initially when I saw the title, I thought it would be lemon rasam. :)
    Thanks for such a comforting dal recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...