Friday, March 12, 2010

Simple Rice Murrukku

 
Simple Rice Murrukku

I wanted to make some snacks for the kids to eat. Wednesday I made the kalakhand sweet and today I decided to make something khara or hot or spicy kind.
These murrukkus I made are not at all spicy by the way. I made it without any chilli powder. It only had ajwain or carom seeds or vaamu. My Mom passed on this recipe on to me just this morning when I asked her what should I make..:)
You can add chilli powder to it if you want it little spicy, I am sure it will taste nice. I usually add chilli powder to the besan (channaga pindi / chick peas flour) murrukkus I make. This is just a different non-spicy kind so that kids can eat without saying ahahhahhh.....and drinking loads of water.
I put in hot oil in the flour before mixing it with water. This gave the murrukkus a nice crunchy texture. And I used warm water to knead it to a dough.



Ingredients:

4 cups rice flour (You can use 2 cups for lesser quantity)
1/2 cup besan or chick pea flour (for 2 cups, use 1/4 cup besan)
1 tbsp ajwain, caroms seeds or vaamu
salt to taste
little less than half cup of hot oil (for 2 cups, use 1/4 cup)
enough warm water to knead it in soft dough
Oil for fry

Instrument needed: Chakkili press or murrukku press

Method:

Add the rice flour, besan, ajwain and salt and mix it all up nicely. Add the hot oil. When you add the hot oil, you will see bubbles coming, thats normal, that means the oil is hot. With a spoon, mix in the oil into the flour till you see a overall grainy texture in the flour, which means, the oil is well mixed. Then add the warm water and knead it into a soft dough. Since it is rice flour, the dough is going to be sticky. It should be little more softer than a chapathi dough or roti dough.
I used the three holes plate for the press which is bigger than sev or karam poosa holes. Little by little press the dough into the hot oil. Fry till golden brown. Remove onto napkin.
Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!!!



Tip: Store in air tight container after they have cooled down (or you will have moisture collecting and then they will get soft). Can be stored for 2-3 weeks unless they get eaten in couple of days!!!
Posted by Picasa

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...