Monday, April 5, 2010

Spicy buns


Spicy buns

As I said before I am not much of a baking person, and if I bake I rather bake something savory than something sweet.
The other day I baked these spicy buns for snack time. They came out yummy and spicy tho it took me half day to prepare for them but it was worth it. I used a recipe I found online, but tweaked it to make it spicier.
They came out soft inside and crunchy outside, but because of my oven temp, they slightly burned on the bottom, which was not that noticeable, but who cares if they are yummy to eat right!? They were good with chutney and cream cheese :).





Ingredients:

1/2 tsp active dry yeast with 1 tsp sugar and a pinch of salt with warm to hot water, soaked for 1/2 hour (for getting the yeast started)
3 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 tsp sugar
salt to taste
4 tbsp butter
1-2 tbsp margarine
hot water to knead into dough

1/2 tsp curry powder ( I used Madras curry powder)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
2 green chillies, chopped
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped



Method:

Add all the ingredients together in a bowl, except water and mix to get a grainy texture. Now add enough hot water to knead into a soft dough. Cover and keep aside in a warm area for atleast 2 hours. I ended putting mine aside for almost 4 hours. After 2 hours, it will rise to double its size. I kneaded it again a bit, not too much, made into small golf ball size balls and put them on a greased baking sheet. I left them in the oven for 1/2 hour to let them rise again. Pre-heat the oven to 375 deg F ( my 375 was a little to hot so I lowered it to 350) and bake them until they turn brown, about 1/2 hour. Just before taking them out I spread butter on top. Serve hot or warm. Enjoy!!!



This is going to the 'Bake Off event' hosted by Champa from Versatile Kitchen.

Posted by Picasa

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...