Friday, February 11, 2011

Simple and easy ~ Karam Annam with Masala Karam Podi ~ Comfort and Healing Food :)

I am so sorry guys, but I couldn't start the voting page poll today for the event, as I wished to!!
I am so happy that I got a good number of entries, and everyone helped in making the event successful.
There were a few last minute entries and a few technical difficulties, due to which I am having to create the whole poll again, and which is taking some time, and as I won't be able to get to it till late tonight to do it!.
I will be working on it tonight and hopefully and successfully by tomorrow it will be up and ready for everyone to vote!
Sorry again....but please keep a look out on this space...as I will be posting again tomorrow about the VOTING process and the link!!






Today is the third day of the blogging marathon, and I thought nothing could be better than 'Karam Annam'
This is what I call Comfort and Healing food. Whenever I feel sick or am tired of eating anything else, I will go straight ahead and make this. The mix in the chilli powder and has so many good stuff that when you eat it if you have a cold or when your tongue feels bland, you are sure to love it!
Its spicy, its garlicky and its overall yummy!
My Mom makes this even for breakfast in the morning with leftover rice. It feels really nice to have it in the mornings, especially cold winter mornings, when you feel like having something warm and spicy.
The whole healing properties comes from 'Masala Karam' also known as "Goddu Karam' in many parts of Andhra. Many people use only this karam or chilli powder instead of the regular plain chilli powder in curries or regular everyday cooking.
If my Mom is here she would use this only. As for me, I use regular chilli powder regularly and use this in special dishes. It also tastes awesome when added besan or chanaga pindi while making bajjis or pakodas.
So here is the recipe for my Mom's Masala Karam Podi and Karam Podi Annam.
OK I make it spicy, but for the rice add only how much you can handle :))

Ingredients:
Masala Karam Podi:

1 cup chilli powder
3 tbsp daniya seeds
1 tbsp jeera
1 tbsp clove, cinamom
4 cardamon pods
1 tbsp menthulu
1 tbsp black peppercorn

4-6 garlic pods, (crush and mix with end product)
salt
turmeric

Method to make Masala Karam Podi:

Dry roast chilli powder along with salt and turmeric.
Dry roast whole masala separately.
Grind everything together to make podi or powder.
Crush the garlic pods and mix it well with the podi.
Your masala karam podi is ready.


Ingredients: (for Karam Annam)

1 cup cooked rice
1 tbsp masala karam podi
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp oil
salt to taste
chopped coriander leaves for garnish

Method:

Heat oil in a kadai.
Saute the garlic cloves till brown.
Add the onions and saute.
Add the cooked rice and mix well.
Add the masala karam podi and mix well.
Add salt.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot or warm.
Enjoy!!!




See what my fellow bloggers have cooked up on the 3rd day of our blogging marathon!

Srivalli, Azeema, Bhagi, Champa, Gayathri Anand, Gayathri Kumar, Harini, Jay, Kamalika, Meena, Mina, Padma, Pavani, PJ, Priya Mahadevan, Priya Suresh, Priya Vasu, Rujuta, Santosh, Saraswathi, Savitha, Shanavi, Sowmya, Suma, Usha, Veena










21 comments:

  1. The rice looks delicious Smitha. And so simple too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this rice looks flavourful and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Smitha this looks delicious and its so simple. Perfect food for the times when you are tired.Thanks our table will see this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the rice looks great. I love your masala suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Smita,

    Looks delicious...i have already posted best recipes of 2010...Can i send it over to your event...Kindly let me know...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comforting and flavorful rice..Looks delectable

    ReplyDelete
  7. We make this rice too... we call it ponni (popu or tiragamata)annam and we don't use masala karam podi but add all the ingredients you listed under masala podi when preparing the annam..

    Yummy rice! Even my mom makes it for breakfast with leftover rice..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Slurp, spicy rice looks truly inviting,yummy and delicious..So sorry about the problem regarding the vote poll, take ur own time dear..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard about goddu karam, but never knew how to make it. Thanks for the recipe. I'm not a big fan of hot and spicy food, but my husband is, so will be tying this real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome spice combo..I have to try it soon..looks super delish Smitha!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  11. spicy rice and i am drooling too....

    ReplyDelete
  12. This rice dish looks great.. looking forward to the marathon recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hot and Spicy ...Delicious rice ...lovely click..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ultimate comfort food Smitha..looks great..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the colorful and flavorful rice...

    ReplyDelete
  16. this looks wow-just my kind of spice, bookmarked !!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Guys!!!...Please leave a comment!..I love and enjoy reading all your comments!...